Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Where to Find Inexpensive Books

I love books. All kinds of books--but mostly children's books. They're innocent yet thought-provoking, and full of moral values. And the kids love them too. But books can get expensive, even children's books. So here are a few ways I've found to cut the costs:


  1. Friends of the Library Shop - Almost every library has a Friends of the Library Shop, a designated area where the library sells donated books to raise funds. I love to get books here. The children's books range from $0.10 to $0.50. The cheapest I've found! It's a great steal. And each week, there's a different variety of books. Of course, depending how big or small your library is depends on the selection of books. But there's a gem hiding somewhere. I found a large hardbound Collection of Disney Stories for $0.50 there. This is my main book buying source.

  2. Used bookstores - Here is another great source of inexpensive children's books. You can get books starting at $0.50. I go to the BookMan in Orange, California. They have a great selection of books in every category. Some more expensive than others but there's always steals to be found.

  3. Swapmeets - Although I have never gone to them, I know their are booksellers at local swapmeets that have bargains as well.

  4. Craigslist.org - You can get great deals here, from books to theater tickets. It's like your online garage sale without the driving around.

  5. Garage sales - If you like driving around, garage sales can be fun for treasure hunters. I've found some old 60's Bible story books that my kids love with great graphics.

There's always bargains to be found somewhere. I try to never pay full price for anything. I have to think about things that are 50% off too. I always go towards the clearance section or try to find ways I can save at least 75% off the original price. I believe financial stewardship is important and nothing beats the high you get from getting a bargain!

No comments: