Thursday, March 20, 2008

Presents and a Tree for Easter?

So today is Thursday and we continued our Easter celebration by buying presents to wrap to open on Easter. Let me just say that I don’t plan to do this for the rest of the kids’ lives but since they are only 3 and 1, to balance Christmas and Easter on the same level, my husband and I decided that it was a good decision for the time being. We told the kids (well, mostly Ellie, my 3 year old) that they get presents because Christ gave us the biggest present of all, giving His life for us. So we wanted to give each other gifts to remind ourselves that Jesus gave the biggest gift. My daughter loves to wrap presents too so it was a thrilling morning.

By the way, I ended up putting the tree back up (reference to my last post). We were at the store and Ellie saw these little Easter ornaments so I thought it would be cute to put them on our dying potted Christmas tree. I just wanted to correlate Easter and Christmas and if this helps in any way, the ugly tree has done it's job. I read somewhere that to help connect that two holidays, another family has the tradition of cutting two limbs from their Christmas tree and saving it. When Easter comes around, they make the limbs into the cross and the connection is made. I thought that was a great idea but unfortunately, we bought a small tree this year so it wouldn't be a hazard for my son. Maybe next year.

After decorating the tree, Ellie brought up the fact that she wanted to make more Easter crafts and “decorate the house” so we also made large construction paper crosses, eggs, angels, and lilies to hang around the house. I cut the shapes out and let her decorate them with stickers and markers. We hung them around the house with colorful pipe cleaners and Titus, my 15 month old, was in awe.

The activities continued through the night as we made our Easter cookies. I went to Michael’s and only found some Spring type of cookie cutters, and I thought that that would be all I had to work with, but while my husband was buying buttermilk for making pancakes on Good Friday morning, I found a cross, church, egg, and chick cookie cutter at Albertson’s! What a find! I was ecstatic! Ellie helped roll the dough out and decorate the cookies with sprinkles and other candies. (Note: Smarties are not meant for cookie decorating-- they melt.) We (I) wrote “Happy Easter” and “Jesus” on some of the cookies with edible markers found at Michael’s as well. It was an enjoyable evening. There’s nothing more adorable then your daughter with flour all over her face and clothes.

As I write about these activities, you can tell that our artistic ability is limited. But when you have a 3 year old, everything’s a masterpiece to them. If you are inhibited by your right-brain abilities or lack thereof, remember that you will always be a Van Gogh in your toddler or preschooler’s eyes. Don't shy away from crafts just because they might not look good. Remember that the process is more meaningful than the product.

Tomorrow I will head on over back to Michael’s to buy bags to put the cookies in to give to friends and neighbors so I can teach Ellie the value of giving and sharing. I hope you found this post helpful or inspiring in any way. Please share things you have done to make Easter meaningful for your family. Now, what to do about Good Friday?

No comments: